If you’re considering joining the military and want to know if you can get braces, the answer is yes! There are various options available for those in the military who are interested in correcting their smile. From orthodontic care through military health insurance plans to special programs for active duty and retired personnel, there are plenty of ways to get the smile you’ve always wanted. In this article, we’ll explore all the options available to those serving in the military, including the costs, eligibility requirements, and what to expect from the process. We’ll also look at the benefits of having braces while in the military, such as increased confidence and improved oral health. So, if you’re interested in finding out more about getting braces in the military, keep reading!
Can You Have Braces in the Military?
Yes, you can have braces in the military. It is recommended that you get them before joining the military, if possible since it is difficult to make appointments and keep up with regular check-ups while serving. However, some military branches offer orthodontic care as part of their medical benefits.
Overview Of Orthodontic Care In The Military
- Orthodontic care is available in the military.
- Getting braces before joining the military is recommended, if possible.
- Some military branches offer orthodontic care as part of their medical benefits.
- Orthodontists associated with the military are usually located on or near a base or post. They may be able to provide services at a discounted rate for active-duty personnel and their families.
- In some cases, active-duty personnel may receive orthodontic care through the TRICARE program, which provides coverage for certain dental services such as braces and other related treatments.
- The cost of braces in the military depends on factors such as insurance coverage, type of braces, and where they are provided.
- It is essential to discuss orthodontic options with your dentist or orthodontist before starting treatment to understand all of the costs involved.
- Orthodontic care in the military may also require a referral from a primary care physician or dentist to be approved.
- It is essential to follow all instructions and recommendations your orthodontist provides to ensure the best possible results from treatment.
- Regular check-ups and adjustments are necessary to maintain the health of your teeth and gums while wearing braces, so it is essential to keep up with these visits and appointments even while serving in the military.
Military Health Insurance Plans That Cover Braces
- TRICARE– TRICARE provides orthodontic care for eligible beneficiaries.
- VA Dental Insurance Program (VADIP)- VADIP covers a wide range of dental services, including braces for veterans and their families.
- Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs)- MTFs offer various dental services, including orthodontic care and braces.
- CHAMPUS- CHAMPUS provides coverage for braces in certain circumstances, such as correcting severe malocclusion or restoring normal occlusion after facial trauma or surgery.
- Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP)- FEDVIP covers some orthodontic services, including braces.
- US Family Health Plan- USFHP covers orthodontic care for eligible beneficiaries.
- Indian Health Services- IHS covers orthodontic care for eligible Native American and Alaska Native beneficiaries.
- Department of Veterans Affairs- The VA covers orthodontic care for eligible veterans.
- State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)- SCHIP provides coverage for orthodontic care, including braces, for eligible children.
- Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)- DEERS covers orthodontic care for eligible active-duty military personnel and their dependents.
Benefits Of Having Braces While In The Military
Improved dental health: The most obvious benefit of having braces in the military is improved dental health. By straightening your teeth, you can reduce your risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
Improved appearance: Braces can also improve the appearance of your smile, giving you more confidence and making it easier to make a good impression on those around you.
Increased self-esteem: Finally, having braces can help to boost your self-esteem and give you more confidence in yourself and your abilities.
More efficient chewing: Straighter teeth can also make it easier to chew and digest food, improving overall health.
Improved speech: Braces can also help to improve your speech, as misaligned teeth can make it difficult to pronounce certain sounds.
Reduced risk of oral health issues: Finally, having straight teeth can also reduce your risk of developing some common oral health issues, such as TMJ and bruxism.
Reduced long-term costs: Having braces in the military can also save you money in the long run. Straightening your teeth now can prevent costly dental treatments in the future.
Improved confidence: Finally, having braces can help to boost your confidence and self-esteem, making it easier to succeed in the military.
Increased professional opportunities: Having a straight smile can also open up new professional opportunities in the military, which can be seen as a sign of discipline and professionalism.
Improved safety: Having braces can also improve your safety, as they can help to protect your teeth and mouth from injuries.
If you’re interested in getting braces while in the military, you’ll need to find out if your health plan covers orthodontic treatment. If they do, you’ll need to find a dentist that is in your network. The process for getting braces while in the military is the same as for civilians. You’ll need to visit the dentist regularly and take care of your teeth to help them move in the right direction. Having braces while in the military is a great decision, as they can have several benefits. From improving your oral health to improving your self-confidence, braces can be a great addition to your life. Whether you’re in the military or not, braces are a significant investment that can have a lasting impact on your life.