When you sign up to use Afterpay and buy something from a participating retailer, you will be prompted to provide your credit card details. This is because Afterpay allows users to pay for their purchases in four equal payments, spread over the next 30 days. AfterPay stores data about all its users and their transactions. That information is stored in an intermediary system and does not report to any credit reporting agency. AfterPay does not report information about its users to any credit bureau or credit reporting agency. Even if you miss a payment, your name won’t appear on a credit report as a result of using AfterPay services. A negative effect of this is that it makes it more difficult for lenders to assess your risk as a borrower if they see no record of you having used AfterPay before.
Does Afterpay Report to Credit Bureaus?
Afterpay is not a credit card, so it does not report to any credit bureaus. The Afterpay Payment Plan allows you to pay for your order over time and pay for the full amount at the end of the term. Paying by Afterpay is a great way to help prevent interest charges and late fees as well as get more use out of your available credit.
How Does Afterpay Work?
- Afterpay is a financing option that lets you pay for your purchase over time. Afterpay offers financing for up to 60 days on most items. To shop with Afterpay, you simply select the “Pay over time” option at checkout.
- Afterpay requires no credit check, no collateral, and no interest charges. You’ll only be required to make the full payment of your order at the end of the term that you select.
- Afterpay is a convenient way to pay for any purchase, even if you don’t have an existing credit card.
- When you use Afterpay, you’ll only be charged one time for your purchase. If you choose the 10% discount option at checkout, your order will be delivered by courier and you’ll receive a 10% discount on your total order price (excluding shipping). You will not receive a separate charge for this service as it is considered part of the overall delivery price of your order.
- You must use the same email address when shopping with Afterpay that you used to create an account on afterpayauctionshowcase.com or register on their website once we have sent you an invoice via email for your purchase. Only after you have paid for your order will we send you an invoice for the full amount of your purchase.
- Afterpay works with all major credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover. You can also use PayPal as a payment method. The only exception to this is if you are placing an order over $999AUD or equivalent in other currencies, in which case we will require payment by credit card (see below).
- Afterpay offers a 10% discount on orders over $999AUD or equivalent in other currencies. This applies to orders placed on afterpayauctionshowcase.com or via any third-party website that uses the Afterpay Payment Plan service (such as eBay). If your order is under this value, then we require payment by credit card (see below).
- To use the 10% discount offered by Afterpay, you must pay for your purchase using a major credit card through Afterpay’s secure payment system. You will be required to register your credit card details with Afterpay before you can use the 10% discount.
- Afterpay requires that all orders are subject to our Terms and Conditions of Sale, as well as all other rules and regulations set out by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
- If you do not pay for your order using a major credit card through Afterpay’s secure payment system, you will be invoiced for the full amount of your purchase price, plus delivery charges, by us via email once we have received your order (as per our Terms and Conditions of Sale). If you do not pay for your order within 7 days of receiving this invoice, we reserve the right to cancel or suspend your account with Afterpay at any time.
How To Set Up Afterpay?
- Then go to the Checkout page and click on the ‘View Confirmation’ link to open the order review page. On this page, you will find an option to enter a coupon code. If you have a valid code, enter it here and click on ‘Apply’. If the code is not valid, you will see a message as shown above.
- If you have entered a valid code and applied for the payment, your order will be confirmed after the next 24 hours. You can track your order here.
- If you don’t have a valid coupon code, you will see a message as shown below and the payment option will not show up on the checkout page.
- You can still purchase items from our website but you need to enter your credit card details first before going to the checkout page. For example, if you want to get free shipping for more than $50, please enter the coupon code in the ‘Coupon Code’ field when placing your order and apply it when checking out.
- Afterpay does not require any special steps for canceling orders once they are paid for by Afterpay / Pay Later payments. Simply log in to your account, go to the ‘My Orders page and then click on the ‘Remove From Cart’ button under the order that you wish to cancel.
- Afterpay does not offer refunds or returns. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service team at email@example.com.
- If you have a valid coupon code and applied it when checking out, your order will be confirmed after the next 24 hours, and you can track your order here.
- You can cancel the payment for all or part of your order by logging in to your account and selecting ‘Cancel’ from the transaction details page (after 24 hours).
Pros Of Afterpay
- Set your own price.
- Pay overtime.
- Get a discount when you pay by Afterpay.
- Credit card companies don’t see it as a credit card payment and therefore don’t report it to the credit bureaus. It’s a great way to pay for things you need, but can’t quite afford right now!
Cons Of Afterpay
- You have to set it up yourself.
- It’s not a credit card and therefore doesn’t have any of the advantages that a credit card would have.
- You can only set it up on your own website, but not on stores’ sites like Amazon, eBay, etc.
- Afterpay does not work for international orders or orders that are shipped outside of Australia at this stage (this may change in the future).
- You need to pay for the full amount at the end of the term each time you make a payment, or else it will just keep charging interest on the amount that you have left to pay.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to pay for your purchases, Afterpay could be a great option. The service is easy to sign up for and there’s no interest to pay. You get 12 weeks to pay off your purchases, and you don’t have to make a lump sum payment at the start. Afterpay is also a great option for those with bad credit. There are no credit checks and no interest charges. It’s important to remember, though, that Afterpay affects your credit score, so it’s probably best not to make a habit of using it.