There’s just something about hotels that makes them seem creepy. From the fact that you’re trusting a complete stranger to lock you in their building for the night to the abundance of hidden cameras many hotels now have, there are just so many things about hotels that seem like they must be hiding some sort of sinister secret. Even more so when you consider the number of urban legends revolving around hotels and their non-existent 13th floor. After all, why wouldn’t a hotel with 14 or more floors have a 13th? It seems like it should be an obvious addition. Ergo, what are these hotels hiding? Why won’t they have a 13th-floor? These questions and more will be answered in this article!
Why Don’t Hotels Have The 13th Floor?
If you’re wondering why hotels don’t have the 13th floor, you’re not alone. The reason is that the 13th floor is a bad luck floor in China. It happens to be the floor where the most accidents happen. The most famous hotel in China, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel, has been built with 13 floors. But it’s not an accident. It was done intentionally to avoid bad luck and to get rid of ghosts and evil spirits in guest rooms. In fact, when asked why they didn’t have a 13th floor, management replied “We have no ghost stories here.”
What’s Behind The 13th Floor Rule?
- The 13th Floor is the unlucky floor in Chinese Feng Shui. Feng Shui is the ancient Chinese practice of arranging your home to harness positive energy. The 13th floor is considered bad Feng Shui because, in Chinese numerology, the number 4 is associated with bad luck.
- The 13th Floor is the unlucky floor in many hotels in the United States. The most famous hotel in America, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, has 13 floors. The reason it was built with 13 floors is because of bad Feng Shui.
- In China, some people believe that the 13th floor is a bad Feng Shui floor because it’s the place where most accidents happen.
- In addition, the 13th floor is considered to be a very unlucky floor in China. It’s the place where bad things happen.
- In addition, it’s also believed that the 13th floor is a very unlucky floor because it’s the place where bad things happen.
- This superstition comes from China’s ancient history. It’s believed that the number 4 is associated with bad luck because, in Chinese numerology, 1 + 3 = 4, and 4 is an unlucky number for Chinese people.
- The 13th Floor has been associated with bad Feng Shui since ancient times when it was believed that all odd numbers were lucky and all even numbers were unlucky for Feng Shui purposes.
- The 13th Floor has been associated with bad Feng Shui since ancient times when it was believed that all odd numbers were lucky and all even numbers were unlucky for Feng Shui purposes in China.
- The superstition comes from ancient times when it was believed that all odd numbers were lucky and all even numbers were unlucky for Feng Shui purposes.
- The superstition comes from ancient times when it was believed that all odd numbers were lucky and all even numbers were unlucky for Feng Shui purposes in China.
- According to the belief, no 14th floor should be built because the number 14 is associated with bad luck because the number 4 + 1 = 5.
- In addition, no hotel should have a 13th floor because of bad Feng Shui.
8 Scary Reasons Hotels Don’t Have The 13th Floor
There are a few reasons why hotels don’t have the 13th floor. Here is a list of the top ten:
- There is a ghost story about the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Shanghai, China. The story goes that when the hotel was first built, the owner wanted to have an unlucky number of floors in order to avoid any bad luck. However, there wasn’t enough money to build all of the floors 13 to 14 so he ended up with the 14th floor instead. The reason for this was that there was a rumor that if you have 13 floors in your building, then someone will die or something bad will happen to you.
- A hotel can also be cursed by a ghost if they don’t have an unlucky number of floors in their building. This happened at The Westin Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia when it opened in 1969 it was called “The Blackest Hotel In America” because it didn’t have a 13th floor. The hotel was rumored to be cursed by the ghost of a woman who died in an elevator while trying to escape from a fire.
- Another hotel that was also known for being haunted by the ghost of a woman is The White House Hotel in Sydney, Australia. This hotel had an unlucky number of floors and it wasn’t until 1993 that they were able to add the 13th floor after noticing the superstition about this number not being lucky.
- The Crystal Palace Hotel in London was built with 13 floors because it was built on the 13th plot of land that belonged to the Crystal Palace Exhibition that took place from 1851-1854 and on which Sir Joseph Paxton had been working as an architect for years.
- The first person who ever thought about having an unlucky number of floors in his building was William Russell (Lord Russell), who owned The Carlton Hotel in London he wanted it to be unlucky so he decided to make it a 13th floor.
- Some hotels are built with 13 floors because they were inspired by the number 13, which is why The Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Shanghai, China was built with this number of floors.
- It is rumored that the reason why some hotels don’t have an unlucky number of floors is that they were built by the devil himself, who wanted to make sure that they won’t be successful in their business and will fail so he made sure that there was bad luck associated with this number.
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel in New York City was also haunted by the ghost of a woman named “Virginia” she was trying to escape from a fire but she died when she fell out of an elevator as it closed and there wasn’t enough money to add another floor to the building so it ended up being unlucky for them and for other people who stayed there after her death.
While most of the reasons behind the absence of the 13th floor in hotels are thanks to cultural superstitions, there is also one more sinister reason. Hotels are in the business of making money. As such, they will do whatever they can to attract as many guests as possible. One of the ways that hotels do this is by implementing special events and promotions. While special events and promotions will often occur on any day, the number 13 is seen as an unlucky day. This means that many hotels will avoid holding special events and promotions on the 13th of the month.