Changing your name on PayPal can be a complicated process, but it doesn’t have to be. With our step-by-step guide, you’ll be able to easily make the changes you want in no time. Whether you’re changing your name due to marriage, divorce, or another personal reason, this guide will provide you with the information you need to make the change quickly and securely. We’ll explain the process for changing your name on PayPal, including the required documents and the time it takes for the changes to take effect. We’ll also provide tips on how to make the process easier and answer any questions you may have. With this guide, you can have your new name on PayPal in no time. So let’s get started!
How To Change Your Name On PayPal?
- Log in to your PayPal account at PayPal.com.
- Click on the button that says “Manage your account.”
- Find “My Account” in the top menu (the one with three horizontal bars) and click on it.
- Scroll down to the very bottom of the page, and you will see a link for signing up for a new account. Clicking this link will open a new PayPal account for you if you haven’t already done so.
- On that new page, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click on “Continue.”
- You will then see a form that asks you to enter your name, date of birth, and email address (you can use a different email address than your PayPal one). Enter those details exactly as they are shown, even if it takes several attempts before you get them right – don’t worry about trying to get them the right the first time – just take your time and make sure they are correct.
- When you have finished, click on the “Continue” button again.
- You will then be shown a page that says, “Please select a password for your new account” – this is very important – make sure that you choose a good, strong password. You should use at least 20 characters long, including numbers and letters, and make sure it has two different types of letters (upper case and lower case).
- Once you have chosen your password, click on the “Continue” button again to get back to the main page showing your details about your new account.
- You will then be asked to enter your billing address details – make sure that you enter them exactly as they are shown in PayPal’s format – do not try to change them if they are incorrect or make any changes whatsoever after they are entered into PayPal’s system because it will invalidate all of the data entered into PayPal’s system by you!
Why Change Your Name On PayPal?
- You can get your name on PayPal’s official site.
- Your PayPal account will show up as your real name on any Internet site (e.g., Facebook, Facebook Fan Pages, Google+, Twitter, etc.)
- You can use PayPal to make wire transfers (Money Transfers).
- When buying from eBay or other auction sites, you will be able to withdraw money using a credit card or bank account linked to your PayPal account.
- If you have a business account, you can use it for transactions where the money is sent electronically (e-commerce).
- You will not have to pay any fees because of your new name on PayPal’s official site and in its public records (i.e., it will not be hidden).
- You can use PayPal’s services to send money to family and friends’ bank accounts and credit cards.
- You can use PayPal to pay utility bills, rent, mortgage payments, loans, etc.
- You will be able to use PayPal as your personal account when traveling abroad, and your real name is not registered on the local banking system (e.g., U.S., UK, Canada, etc.).
- Your credit card will not show up on the billing statements of any merchant you pay with PayPal for purchases or for cash withdrawals from an ATM machine (i.e., it will be hidden).
- If you want people to know that you are using PayPal if they see your name on the company’s official site or in its public records (i.e., it is not hidden), you must use a common first name, middle name or nickname as your user ID (name) and password (password). This is because most people have a unique first name, middle name or nickname.
- If you want to hide your real name on PayPal’s official site, you can use PayPal’s “Real Name” option.
Tips For Making The Process Easier
- Make sure you have your legal documentation ready. This is the most important thing you can do to make the process of changing your name on PayPal as easy and smooth as possible.
- If you’re changing your name to avoid a government or government agency, be patient. PayPal will not expedite the process in order to help you avoid delays caused by government agencies.
- Avoid using the exact same name that you used with PayPal before if it’s available on their database of names (which is likely). Sometimes they will reject a change request if they find that your new name is already being used by another person or business, even though it’s not in use anymore and may have been abandoned by its previous owner(s). This means that if your old name was also used at some point by someone else, it’s possible that PayPal will reject your request because of this, even though they don’t specifically mention this in their FAQs (although I’m not 100% sure about that). So if you want to avoid this, make sure that your new name is different from any other person or business in existence.
- As a final note, there are some cases where PayPal will reject your request to change your name on its own. However, they will always give you the option to resubmit the request in a few months if it’s rejected by their system (which is how I was told by PayPal customer service). So even though they won’t expedite the process for you, they will at least give you the option to resubmit your application later if it’s been rejected by their system.
- The best thing you can do is to be patient and not expect them to expedite the process for you. I’d recommend just waiting a few months and then sending them the application again if they reject it the first time (although I’m not 100% sure about that).
This guide walked you through the process of how to change your name on PayPal. You’ll need to provide proof of your new name and identification. Once you have the required documents, all you have to do is log in to your account and make the changes on your account information page. It may take a couple of weeks for the changes to take effect, but once they do, your account will be under your new name. With your new name on PayPal, no one will be able to access your account unless they also know your new name.